Fostering agility with cloud-native application testingCigniti Technologies
Listen on the go!
During the lockdowns across the world, amidst a global pandemic, one thing that kept us all going was RESILIENCE.
From the corporate organizations to schools and families, everyone adopted alternatives to their pre-pandemic ways for showcasing resilience against the unprecedented health and economic crisis. Accelerated digital transformation was one by-product of this endeavor. And to support the acceleration, there was an expected increase in cloud adoption and development of cloud-native applications. Cloud technologies have proven to be significant in bestowing resilience to these organizations, by offering them the power to scale at demand of their customers 24×7.
Even for organizations who have not had a cloud architecture in place and were operating on legacy infrastructure, cloud adoption became the means to ensure business continuity even in the middle of a total chaos. Over the next three years, the public cloud services market is expected to reach $623.3 billion USD. But it is not only the public cloud adoption that is gaining such traction. There is a surge in both private as well as public cloud landscape. In fact, most organizations are looking to embrace a hybrid model of cloud adoption to leverage complete flexibility in their application deployment process.
Cloud-native applications follow the concepts of principles of DevOps, continuous delivery, microservices, and containerization. By developing applications in a cloud-native infrastructure, organizations become capable of responding to the market demand at a lightning pace. As automation constitutes a key part of cloud-native application development, speed and scale are the major benefits that the end users experience. While cloud-native deployment has plethora of benefits to offer, it is essential that cloud testing is also done in a comprehensive manner.
DevOps and cloud adoption
While DevOps is about breaking the traditional silos between different teams involved in software development, testing, and deployment, it requires the support of various technologies to deliver the desired results.
The automated continuous delivery and continuous deployment pipeline in a DevOps SDLC can be augmented with the help of cloud’s speed, scalability, flexibility, and resilience to facilitate quality releases as and when needed. The entire process can exist on a cloud-native infrastructure, enabling an organization to embrace more agile practices for application development.
Key considerations while moving to a cloud-native infrastructure
Although legacy modernization is an imperative for the success of digital initiatives and modern application development methodologies, the journey has its own set of challenges. For a glitch-free adoption of cloud-native infrastructure, organizations must consider these aspects:
- Evaluation of the right deployment models – private cloud, public cloud, and hybrid cloud (an integrated cloud utilizing both private and public clouds) and choose the best option that aligns well with their business goals.
- Assessment of cloud service models- SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS – available in the market for their business.
- Cloud computing involves five essential characteristics – on-demand self-service, broad network access, resource pooling, rapid elasticity and measured service. Organizations going for cloud adoption have to consider the availability of these characteristics as well.
Once these aspects are taken into account, organizations should also proactively address the cloud-computing challenges that may affect the success of cloud adoption:
- Complying with cloud-specific requirements by redesigning the application architecture
- Determining delivery mechanisms for the cloud
- Dealing with issues such as data migration, performance, availability, and scalability
- Ensuring data security, accessibility, and privacy
Why do you need to perform cloud testing
Cloud testing has become critical to effectively sail through the challenges discussed above. However, cloud testing approach or strategy is considerably impacted by the deployment models, service models, and other essential characteristics of cloud computing. Testing teams have to pay attention to the non-functional aspects such as performance, security, compatibility, environment management, integration with various interfaces, user experience, etc. as they get impacted for the software, applications, or solutions by transitioning to the cloud.
Cloud-based test environments can be built and used for testing purposes as needed for a limited period of time. Some aspects of cloud testing that help organizations offer high-quality services to their customers are:
- Stress testing, Performance testing and Load testing of applications hosted on the cloud by generating loads as necessary leveraging cloud environment
- Security testing of an application hosted on the cloud to know if the security framework provided is accurate or not
- Integration testing of applications which are hosted on various clouds
- Compatibility testing of applications hosted on the cloud by creating instances of different operating systems utilizing cloud environment
To sum up
Processes such as Agile and DevOps help teams to move faster and achieve much relevant results. Cloud Testing gives testing and development teams the flexibility to test the applications as per their requirements. Digital Transformation can be achieved by ensuring flexibility and business agility. This can be realized by bringing in strategies that encourage better workflows, and faster turnaround time. Cloud-based solutions in many possible ways ensure the same.
Cigniti’s Digital assurance & testing solutions address the multi-faceted needs of digital transformation testing. We assure digital transformations by conducting comprehensive testing across your digital value chain encompassing digital marketing, web portals, web content, digital assets, web analytics, and the entire digital ecosystem – which includes cloud, mobility, big data, and connected devices.
Connect with our experts to ensure that your Digital Transformation initiatives are on-track and deliver the expected results.
Cigniti is a Global Leader in Independent Quality Engineering & Software Testing Services with offices in US, UK, India, Australia, and Canada.