10 Mobile Testing Techniques That will Boost Your ROICigniti Technologies
Listen on the go!
Mobile phones are hand-held technological devices that have undergone several bouts of transformation over the past few decades. Changing in shape, size and functionality, mobile phones have inched their way into the pockets of their users. Thirty years ago, pagers were thought to be obligatory, and signaled cases of extreme emergency. Today, a smartphone is synonymous to food, shelter, and clothing, for most working professionals. Users may feel the obligation that comes with being a smartphone owner, which compels one to be reachable for those wishing to contact them. However, the benefits, comforts and convenience that users associate with smartphones far outweigh the obligatory feeling of having to be reachable.
To understand the importance of mobile phones, one must understand the user’s feeling behind owning such a device, rather than the mere act of owning. Far more than anything, a mobile device represents a sure form of freedom. People can afford to travel, work from remote locations, and prioritize life as they see fit, and still be in-tune with their loved ones, society and important information.
With rapid technological transformation, it becomes more important than ever for companies to be able to keep pace with customer requirements. Several organizations are now following the agile methodology, and it becomes imperative to get mobile apps to hit the market at a faster rate and with better quality. In order to ensure that customer engagement is on-going and cyclical in nature, direct involvement with the customer becomes essential. As businesses are transforming from transactional exchange to value exchange, it becomes important for businesses to provide relevant information to their consumers through constant engagement.
For mobile phones to have reached this space, it took years of dedicated research and extreme technological innovation. Quality Assurance (QA) plays a key role in helping maintain and improve the experience of using mobile phones. Mobile testing, of which QA is a part, could be either done through emulators or by real-device testing. Emulators (and simulators) are software programs that permit mobile phones to mimic features of other mobile or computer devices upon installation. Testing on real devices, on the other hand is much more suitable while checking for device functionality and checking the smoothness of applications.
When basic functionality is poor, when the UI is unpleasant, or when the overall performance is slow, it results in poor customer experience. This takes a hit on the business, as users will uninstall the application right away and will seldom ever come back. As a brand, a company will gain a poor image among its users if such instances continue to take place. This places a high importance on the role of mobile testing, especially with the several parameters involved when considering mobile testing.
Here we take a look at 10 Mobile Testing Techniques that will help boost your ROI.
- Carrier testing is a big contributor: With the choice of carriers out there, it is practical to start mobile testing by beginning with mobile carriers. Major carriers do a brilliant job in contributing to a successfully high ROI in a relatively lesser amount of time. Due to the increasing mobility among users, the availability of mobile signals and data networks are important while testing the efficiency of mobile phones.
- Shift Left Testing is a Game-changer: With mobile testing, one of the key features is the urgency of a faster time to market of an application. In this regard, shift-left testing enables the preparation of test cases in the most efficient manner by introducing testing early on in the game. This approach helps boost the ROI by leaps and bounds, because it helps the developer get the code right much sooner.
- Parallel Testing Leads to More Productivity: One of the major conveniences of mobile testing is the fact that the same application can be tested simultaneously on several devices. This takes productivity to the next level, and also increases the scope to spot bugs quicker, as one version may be more advanced than another. It helps arrive faster at solutions that help apps run smoother and in a uniform manner, contributing to a higher ROI.
- The Continuous Integration Approach: With the shift-left approach, continuous integration further helps developers integrate code faster, according to requirements. This also helps detect problems or bugs early on, thereby giving more room to come up with solutions. Software tools for continuous integration can be used to automate the whole testing process, making it easier and faster to test effectively.
- Test Automation is a worthy Investment: Many organizations have the impression that automation tools are expensive and hence not worth the investment. One couldn’t be farther away from the truth. Often as in the case of education, appropriate software tools after proper research will help boost the efficiency of the organization in the long run.
- Performance Monitoring: Performance of an application is vital to the sustenance of a positive brand image. Naturally, when a big sale is happening and mobile users are given a certain advantage, imagine if due to technical difficulty, such an advantage proves redundant! It would impact the brand negatively for a long time to come. To monitor the performance of the application constantly would assure that it meets customer expectations and results in a better ROI.
- Why A/B testing matters: A/B testing for mobile applications can be done by setting up different landing pages. With most of the content similar and few minor tweaks, the website would enable traffic to be split randomly with A/B testing. This helps gain valuable insights as to what is desired by the end-users and ultimately results in higher ROI.
- The DevOps Approach: Development and operations have never worked closer together as they do in the case of mobile apps. Immediately after the code has been locked and the app hits the market, how it operates when the volume of traffic is high and while simultaneous transactions are being performed is constantly monitored and improved through this approach, thereby contributing to a higher ROI.
- Reusing Test Scripts: When automation enters the fray, test scripts can be reused at a much higher rate. Not only does this tremendously improve the ROI for a present application, the reusability of test scripts also leads to a head start for other similar testing projects. It saves massive time and effort.
- Cloud Lab Testing: Having a laboratory enables continuous testing, as the access to devices is no longer restricted. Through simulation and cloud, tools can be used to constantly monitor the performance of mobile apps. A mobile device testing cloud lab improves overall efficiency and results in a higher ROI.
Cigniti Technologies provides a comprehensive mobile application testing strategy for getting applications to market on time and within budget, thereby providing value to customers. Cigniti’s Mobile Testing approach encapsulates the entire software testing life cycle to ensure quality deliverables by leveraging our Mobile Test Center of Excellence. Cigniti’s device agnostic mobile automation framework supports a multitude of operating systems, cross-OEM compatibility, portability, and reusability of scripts. We offer a range of mobile testing services that help get a higher return on investment.
Check out our State of the art mobile testing lab.
To know more about how Cigniti can help you take advantage of Mobile testing visit https://www.cigniti.com/mobile-testing .
Cigniti is a Global Leader in Independent Quality Engineering & Software Testing Services with offices in US, UK, India, Australia, and Canada.