Cloud-based Regression Testing and its benefitsCigniti Technologies
Listen on the go!
Running regression testing on the cloud for a software application can accrue a slew of benefits to enterprises in the form of easy accessibility, virtualization, continuous testing, better security, performance, and integration.
According to Forrester, “Fast and easy accessibility, elastic scalability, and pay-per-use pricing models make cloud computing attractive for application development and delivery (AD&D) professionals looking to create a cloud testing strategy to deliver applications better and faster. Many firms can already make quality at speed a reality by leveraging cloud — although it’s not easy to identify which cloud model provides the most benefits and for what types of testing.”
Today’s software applications are complex, dynamic, and multidimensional, and run on several devices that leverage different operating systems, browsers, and networks.
The challenge for enterprises is to develop and deploy such applications in minimum time without compromising the quality.
Besides, there may be situations when an application after deployment needs to be upgraded with a new feature or functionality based on customer feedback or market demand.
This induces a possibility of the new feature or functionality impacting the existing ones adversely.
So, instead of the upgrade improving the quality of the application and meeting the market demand, it may end up ruining the product altogether.
To avoid such a situation, enterprises need to shift-left the implementation of end–to–end regression testing in the development chain.
The critical need of cloud-based regression testing
In the regular regression testing, changes made to the software applications are checked to find out if they are impacting the existing features or/and functionalities adversely.
This can become a critical requirement in the Agile-DevOps scheme of things where development and testing go together.
Importantly, every software application needs to undergo periodic upgrades to remain in sync with the omnichannel operating environment comprising devices, operating systems, or browsers, among others.
This is where software regression testing becomes a constant feature in the development lifecycle ensuring the updated application is free from glitches and performs as expected.
However, implementing such changes and keeping up with the demanding iterative upgrades can be cumbersome, time, and cost-intensive.
So, how to make regression testing more efficient, cost-effective, and timely?
The answer lies in conducting cloud-based testing to derive superior user experience and optimal performance of the software.
Regression testing based on the cloud allows testers to access a pool of real devices and live networks globally.
Since the updated software applications aim at creating capabilities and expanding the scope of performance, they need to be tested quickly across device platforms.
With end–to–end regression testing being run on the cloud, the applications are likely to deliver optimal performances and excellent user experiences irrespective of the types of devices used.
Benefits of cloud-based regression testing
Testing on the cloud can be a feasible solution for enterprises thanks to the availability of a huge pool of devices.
The slew of benefits derived from running a cloud-based regression testing are as follows:
- Greater access: Today, the development of software happens to be a distributed process where teams are in different geographic locations separated by time zones.
- It is only by using a cloud-based testing platform that these teams can collaborate seamlessly at the time and place of their choice.
- The teams can access the test environment present in a central repository and perform regression testing in real-time.
- They can communicate with each other, share mission-critical information, as well as track their efforts and results.
- Virtualization: Cloud enables device platforms to be virtualized so that the applications can be tested with greater efficiency and flexibility.
- With applications becoming more complex and requiring comprehensive testing over an omnichannel environment, cloud-based virtualization helps testers to share resources from a central repository and reduces capital costs.
- Continuous testing: With the Agile-DevOps model of software development in vogue to achieve faster time–to–market and deliver superior user experience, continuous testing of applications at every stage is a must.
- A cloud-based central repository can be reached by several testers spread across time zones to collaborate in testing the application.
- As QA regression testing necessitates the testing of all features and functionalities of an application, a cloud-based solution running automated regression testing can perform the activity quickly, accurately, and effectively.
- This round-the-clock testing of new and existing features can be done expeditiously so that the applications can go into production.
- Security: Ensuring the security of an application has become one of the top priorities for enterprises given the rising menace of cybercrime.
- To buttress the argument with statistics, global cybersecurity spending is predicted to exceed USD 1 trillion by 2021.
- So, a cloud-based DevSecOps model of testing can ensure the application is tested for security-related vulnerabilities once a feature or functionality is added or upgraded.
- Performance: A cloud-based system can simulate virtual users at lower costs and scale, which can then be leveraged to run regression testing services.
- With the existing infrastructure in place, a cloud-based server can create/simulate scores of virtual users in no time.
- The application under testing can then be ‘used’ by such virtual users across device platforms to identify any hidden issues or glitches.
- In such a scenario, the application just needs to be scheduled for testing wherein the resources are commissioned automatically.
- Besides, the easy availability of performance and load testing tools can make the process cost-efficient. Since there is a real-time generation of reports, the testing team can collaborate with developers for quick remediation of issues.
- Continuous integration: Cloud-based testing enables the integration of new builds into the application quickly.
- It allows the execution of non-stop parallel testing thereby expanding the test scenarios significantly.
- Also, regression testing on the cloud offers a preconfigured environment that minimizes defects that are caused by unstable environments.
- It allows easy testing of applications across environments and maximizes the test coverage area in minimal time.
End-to-end regression testing is a critical requirement for applications undergoing upgrades. This can be a complex, time-consuming, and costly process in an in-house test environment.
However, cloud-based testing solutions comprising tools and configured environments can facilitate the conduct of parallel round-the-clock testing across devices, virtualized users, and geographies.
According to Gartner, “By 2021, a distributed cloud would help companies physically put all services closely together, thereby addressing low-latency challenges, minimising the expense of storage and ensuring that data standards are consistent with the laws in a given geographical region.”
This reduces costs, lowers operational overheads, enhances efficiency, and accelerates the time to market for the application.
Cloud–based regression testing is essential to assess the overall security of your operating systems and applications running on cloud.
Ensuring ongoing security in the cloud requires not only equipping your cloud instances with defensive security controls, but also regularly assessing their ability to withstand the latest data breach threats.
Cigniti’s systematic approach to Cloud-based Regression Testing ensures minimum disruption while keeping costs under control.
Our Regression Testing suite guarantees that the new features or enhancements to the application do not cause any unintended impact to the existing quality of the applications.
Our test teams thoroughly understand and perform impact analysis of the changes that are made to the test environment and the applications and ensure that the outcomes of these enhancements are as per the original plan.
Talk to our Cloud testing experts. They will help provide a solution to your business challenges and demonstrate how to effectively implement cloud-based regression testing for all your applications stored in the cloud environment.